What is the Red Shoe Run for
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness is held every April to celebrate National Donate Life month and to raise awareness about the lifesaving need for organ, tissue, eye, blood and marrow cell donations and raise funds to sustain those efforts in the community.Organ, tissue, and eye donors save and restore lives!
- Today there are over 120,000 people waiting for an organ in the United States.
- 22 patients die every day because of the shortage of organ donors.
- Over one million tissue transplant surgeries take place every year in the U.S., restoring movement and sight and alleviating debilitating pain.
- Say “Yes” when asked to join your state’s organ & tissue donor registry or go to www.donatelife.net and click on your state.
Every week, the Rock River Valley Blood Center must collect 1,000 units of blood to save the lives of our families, friends, and neighbors.
- A single donation can help save up to 3 lives.
- Blood is only available for surgeries, accident victims, and those who need it if people take the time to donate.
- Schedule an appointment to give blood at www.rrvbc.org. Giving feels amazing.
Every year, thousands of patients are diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, genetic disorders, sickle cell disease, immune deficiencies and over 70 other life-threatening diseases that can be successfully treated with a marrow cell transplant.
- A matched donor must be available for patients to receive the medical treatment that could cure them.
- Only 30% of these patients will find a match in their family.
- 70% look to the Be The Match® Marrow Registry, hoping to find a match.
- 12,000 patients need a transplant and don’t have a family match.
- Join at any Rock River Valley Blood Center drive or site, or click here to join online.
Every dollar pledged brings us closer to our goal of helping every patient find their lifesaving match. You can help. Register to run or walk and make your pledge today.
Be part of the most uplifting activity imaginable: saving lives.